Ads Top

Pakistan CTD Clampdown On Ahmadiyya Publications Office; Tortured 80-year Old Man

An armed police contingent of the Counter  Terrorism Department (CTD) carried out a  raid on a central office (Publications  Department of the Tehrik Jadid) and Zia-ul-Islam Press in Rabwah, Pakistan at mid-day on Monday, 5th December.

The CTD acted  brutally, severely  beat  up  some staffers unnecessarily,  made  unjustified  arrests and  took  away  office  equipment and personal belongings. 

According to statement from the Community Foreign Missions Office stated that the   armed  personnel  were  wearing  masks.

This  sort  of  raid  and  attack  had  never  been  mounted  in  the  past  42  years since  the state adopted  the agenda  of acting  hostile  towards  its  Ahmadi citizens. They  came  in  three  vehicles, more  than  25  of  them,  some  in  uniform, others in civvies.

Read the full statement below:

They  made  forced  entry  in  the office  compound.  Some  of  them  proceeded  directly  to  the  first  floor  where Publications  Directorate  is  located,  while  five  or  six  others  took  up  positions  near  the boundary  wall.  The  latter  ordered  people  to  lie  down  in  the  lawn.  Those  who  entered the  office ordered  the  staff  to  make no  move.  They  told  the  nearly  80-year  old  Director to  stand  up  and  accompany  them. 

He  asked  them  to  show  him  the  Warrant,  to  which the  intruders  did  not  reply,  but  took  possession  of  his  laptop  and  two mobile  phones. The  raiders  beat  up  some  of  the  office  staff,  checked  their  CNIC  cards  and arrested  three  officials,  apparently  only  for  their  Rabwah  addresses,  as  they  took  no action  against  one  who’s  ID  card  was  issued  in  District  Gujranwala.

Apparently  they  were  in  search  of  the  editorial  staff  of  monthly  ‘Tehrik  Jadid’, who  were  not  present  there.  The  three  arrested  personnel  are harmless  Waqif  Zindigi,  a cadre  dedicated  to  service  of  humanity  and  religion.  Why  they  arrested  them  and hand-cuffed  them  is  not  known.

The  raiders  took  away  five  office  computers,  a  laptop,  a  printer  and  a  bag  full  of  various  books. This  was  more  like  a  loot,  otherwise taking  away  a  printer  makes  no  sense. At  the  time,  they  came across  a  visiting  peon  carrying  some  mail.

They  snatched the mail  bag  from  him. Thereafter  they  forced  their  way  to  the  roof  where  the  security  office  is  located. They  severely  beat  up  the  security  guard  on  duty,  Rana  Irfan  Ahmad,  took  the  key  of the  locked  almirah  from  him,  and  took  possession  of  arms  found  in  the  almirah.

Items they took possession of include three guns  and  a  box  of  shots,  all  licensed  and  authorized.

Acting  as  marauders  rather  than officials,  they  did  not  issue  any  receipt  for  the  spoils.   The  injured  security  guard  Irfan  Ahmad  was  driven  immediately  to  the  hospital by  the  Ahmadi  administration.  He  was  provided  emergency  aid  followed  by  treatment; he is  out  of  danger. The  visitors  went  to  the  Audit  Office  as  well.  

They  took  the  staff’s  mobile phones  and  checked  their  CNICs. Later,  they  left  behind  the phones  at  the  gate.   

This  phase  of  the  raid  lasted  25  minutes.  After  that  they  proceeded  directly  to the  Zia-ul  Islam  Press.  It  was  about  1  p.m.  They  did  not  ring  the  bell  but  preferred  to jump  over  the  wall  to  enter  the  premises.

They  told  the  press  operators  to  stop  the press;  they  also  beat  them  up  for  no  reason.  They  asked  them  to  hand  them  over  the monthly  Tehrik  Jadid  and  its  plates.  The  pressmen  told  them  that  they  had  none  at  the moment,  as  they  were  busy  printing  the  Ahmadiyya  daily. 

The  intruders  asked  them  as to  who  was  in-charge  there  after  Mr.  Tahir  Mahdi  Imtiaz  (the  squeaky  clean  printer who  is  in  prison  for  almost  two  years  in  a  case  fabricated  jointly  by  the  police  and mullas).  Mr. Idrees  Ahmad  told  them  that  he  was  the  foreman.  They  handcuffed  him and  beat  him  up.  They  also  took  in  possession  8  coloured  plates,  4  black  plates  and printed  sheets  of  the  daily  which  is  published  by  permission,  and  for  years  now,  the authorities  have found  nothing  objectionable in  its  texts.

This  part  of the  brutish  raid  lasted  half  an  hour. It  is  learnt  that  a  police  case  has  been  registered  against  9  Ahmadis;  4  of  those arrested,  and  some  others  whose  names  are  found  in  the  monthly.  It  is  learnt  that  anti-Ahmadi  sections  PPC  298-B  and  298-C  have  been  applied,  as  also  some  sections  of the  Anti-terrorism  Act.

We  have  not  yet  been  provided  a  copy  of  the  FIR;  the  details will  be available on  its  receipt.   It  is  learnt  that  the  CTD  is  the same  department  that  raided  the only  bookshop  in Rabwah  last  year  and  succeeded  in  securing  (5+3)  eight  years’  imprisonment  for  its octogenarian  proprietor,  Mr.  Abdul  Shakoor,  after  a  speedy  trial.  It  seems  that  this department  is  very  fastidious  and  successful  –  in  operations  against  very  soft  targets, decent  individuals  and  peaceful  communities.

The  way  they  conducted  the  raid,  it  seemed  well-planned  over  plenty  of  time, and  the  prime  movers  behind  this  are  arguably  the  self-serving  leaders  of  politico religious  lobby  in  the  Punjab.  Whither National  Action  Plan!

The Jama'at then offered any  research  scholar may obtain  one-year’s  issues  of  the ‘Tehrik  Jadid’,  the  monthly  in  question  and  pinpoint  even  a  hint  that  calls  for  the notice of the CTD  and  the  application  of the  anti-terrorism laws.

No comments:

Shybellmedia. Powered by Blogger.