Ads Top

Donald Trump Wants Muslims Banned from Entering US


Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has called for a halt to Muslims entering the US, in the wake of the deadly California shootings.

In a campaign statement, he said a “total and complete” shutdown should remain until the US authorities “can figure out” Muslim attitudes to the US.

At a rally in South Carolina hours later, frontrunner Mr Trump repeated the pledge, to loud cheers.

Criticism from the White House and other Republicans was swift.

Trump’s comments were contrary to US values and its national security interests, a statement from the White House said.

Republican Jeb Bush, also running for president, said the New York businessman was “unhinged”.

Trump’s statement was delivered as the US comes to terms with its deadliest terror attack since 9/11.

Last week a Muslim couple, believed to have been radicalised, opened fire and killed 14 people at a health centre in San Bernardino.

On Sunday, President Barack Obama made a rare Oval Office address in response to the attack and warned against the US falling prey to divisiveness.

When asked by The Hill if that included Muslim Americans who may currently be abroad, his spokeswoman said: “Mr Trump says everyone.”

The director of the Council on American Islamic Relations, Nihad Awad, said Trump sounded like the leader of a lynch mob rather than a great nation.

Soon after his statement was released, Trump’s Republican rival Ben Carson called on all visitors to the US to “register and be monitored” during their stay.


But his spokesman added: “We do not and would not advocate being selective on one’s religion.”

No comments:

Shybellmedia. Powered by Blogger.